Friday, May 23, 2008

Violence in South Africa

Chaos has broken out within the townships of South Africa and there is urgent need for steadfast prayer. I am within minutes drive from several informal settlements where there have been rumors of violence and groups assembling in masses together to hunt out foreigners, particularly those who had fled Zimbabwe to come find refuge and possible employment here in South Africa.

Police have been diligently patroling and doing what they can, churches within and nearby informal settlements have become refugee camps for those fleeing the communities. They need prayer for protection as do all foreigners living in the country. At this point it is hard to say how things may be in a couple days. We are all doing what we can to help those who need protection.

It seems history of Rwanda is in a way repeating itself here. Just last week there were individuals within one particular community going around to each persons shack asking where they were from and how many individuals live in the shack. This is what happened prior to the genocide in Rwanda.

There have been difficult decisions people have had to make today...like whether to risk their life going into the settlements to rescue foreigners who have become key community leaders and friends. I sat with colleagues today who were wrestling with this decision, deeply trying to figure out how to to help while yet exercising discernment.

At this point we don't know if things will get better or worse. I wonder about my safety as I am to be spending a majority of my time in these communities. What I do know is that I will exercise my own judgement and listen for when I hear the Holy Spirit directing me not to enter a particular place. I am hopeful I can finish out my time here without myself having to leave.

Please pray for South Africa and the foreigners who are now alienated in a place where they sought refuge from their own countries. Pray for peace. Pray too for Zimbabwe as the oppression of the people there is overwhelming.

No comments: